This is the United Kingdom website0845 291 4541
Find a tour
Adventure Travel Offers - Top 5
Save hundreds on a selection of Explore tours to fantastic destinations. We have reduced the price of a number of our tours to ensure that it's...
Save up to £200 on your Explore Inca Trail trek
Join us in 2014 on one of the world’s classic treks: the Inca Trail in Peru, an inspiring four day hike through the Andes, ending at the UNESCO...
Save up to 15% on our Polar Voyages
Save as you sail. Take a look at our fantastic offers on a selection of our polar cruises to the Arctic and Antarctica. Antarctica...
Adventure Holiday offers to Europe
Walking, cycling, multi-activity, discovery, history or relaxation – you’ll find it all in Europe. From the Arctic Circle to the warm...
Adventure Travel Offers to Asia
Bustling cities, remote hill tribes, ancient temples, tropical jungle and paradise beaches all combine to make Asia a haven for those looking to...
Adventure Travel offers to the Americas
America has so much to offer, whether it's taking in the national parks, the jaw-dropping Grand Canyon or venturing out to more tropical pastures such...
Adventure Travel offers to Africa
Africa is an area filled with inspiring history where ancient civilisations have left their mark with ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian sites all...
Adventure Travel offers to the Middle East
The Middle East is an area filled with inspiring history where ancient civilisations have left their mark with ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian sites...
- Added Thursday, 10 December 2009 13:38
- by Super User
Race delayed - again!Yesterday the whole fleet attended a crisis meeting as a huge weather front is due to hit here over the weekend and Simon (Woodvale boss) has taken the decision to delay race start yet again - we definitely won't be leaving here until at least Tuesday next week, possibly later if further bad weather is forecast. At the moment the weather is perfect, very little wind, but by Saturday 25 knots is expected on the nose, for possibly 3 days, which would mean the whole fleet would be sat on our para anchors for 3 days after only 2 days at sea - not a pleasant thought! There's also the possibility that the single crews wouldn't have cleared El Hierro, an island close to here, before the weather hits, which is obviously a huge concern. The local port authorities won't actually allow Woodvale to send us out if bad weather is forecast, so for safety reasons we have to stay here. Annie and I are really keen to get going but completely understand why the decision has been made, we've never rowed an ocean and Simon has rowed several so he knows what he's talking about! Also there is far more chance of us breaking that British record if we avoid bad weather!
Yesterday I was quite frustrated about the whole situation, it's very hard as I'm mentally prepared to go and didn't like being told we had to wait another whole week, but today I feel much happier. We've had a day away from the boat just chilling out on the beach and I suddenly realised that another week here really isn't a bad thing at all! There's a fair amount of pent up nervous energy amongst the fleet (if the amount being drunk in the Blue Marlin last night was anything to go by!) but Woodvale are organising more workshops and various activities and social events to keep us all amused, so we should just about keep our sanity over the next week! And of course the more time we spend on our boat, learning how she works and how to get the best boat speed out of her, the better. This could well all be stacking up to our adavantage!Mel
If you would like to find out the full story behind Annie & Mel’s epic rowing adventure across the Atlantic, and why we are involved with them, you can find out more at www.explore.co.uk/atlanticrowers. You will also find details about how you can get involved and help them achieve their other goal of raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support.