Many members of the Explore team travel regularly on our family adventures. This year alone Explore staff and their families have travelled to countries including Borneo, India, Turkey, Costa Rica and Thailand. We asked them to give us the top hints and ideas they've picked up for making life on holiday with the chilkdren that little bit easier. Here are their top ten tips...
1. Whilst you are away, be prepared to give the kids some space/freedom – they will learn loads from the other kids on the trip as well as having a great time – they’ll love you for it.
2. If they are old enough, encourage them to bring their own camera so they can help document their version of the trip.
3. Give children a cheat sheet for converting local currency into their own, and help them exchange some of their own allowance into local currency so they can learn about what things cost in different places and buy things themselves which also encourages interaction with locals.
4. They should have their own daypack with a small favorite toy, flashlight, book, water bottle, snack, cards or small games, and music player. This is good for the plane or longer bus/train rides.
5. When it comes to food – even if your kids are fussy eaters – let them choose what they want to eat or encourage them to try what their friends are ordering. If others are trying the local food, they are likely to then be more adventurous when the food does not quite look like it does at home.
6. Encourage children to keep a journal of the trip with space for writing, drawing and keeping scrap mementos (entrance tickets, etc.).
7. Always take some paper and colouring pens – the children often love writing notes to each other and making cards.
8. In addition to a hat and sunglasses have kids bring a bandana or scarf - it's good for keeping cool when wet, keeping warm when dry, covering the eyes to help sleep, protecting the face from dust, washing faces, tying things, etc.
9. Choose a holiday destination that you are interested in – chances are the kids are likely to have a great time wherever you go.
10. Take your Huxley - he deserves a great holiday too!
Find out more about our family activity holidays