2013/14 Standard Itinerary
- 14 Breakfasts
- 8 Lunches
- 2 Dinners
- 8 nights Standard Hotel
- 2 nights Simple Auberge
- 1 night Standard Hotel
- 2 nights Basic Village House
- 1 night Simple Stilt House
4WD Landcruisers or minibus, boat.
Approx 12 -
Explore Tour Leader, local guide, driver(s) & cook.
Cultural Discovery Tour In Benin & Togo
On this journey across Togo and Benin we discover tribal cultures, ancient voodoo traditions and colonial architecture.
We assist to traditional rituals, walk through the Atakora Mountains and stay in a stilt village. We also trek through pristine rainforest, meet the chiefs of the Bassari tribes, witness a fire-dance and a mask ceremony.
- Voodoo - A unique opportunity to witness the intriguing and esoteric rituals of West Africa.
- Tamberma - Remote fortified dwellings in the Atakora mountains.
- Kloto - Scenic highlands and walks in the tropical forest.
- Abomey - The impressive Royal palace, a UNESCO Heritage site.
- Ganvie - A remarkable stilt village on Lake Nokwe.
- Village Life - Experience the diversity of cultures and traditions in West Africa.
- Lomé - Togo’s vibrant capital and the fetish market.
What we say
Staff Member Caryn Darley Waddilove travelled on this tour in 2008.
"This tour will grab you just because of its name. But it is so much more than just voodoo. If you want an experience that is different then this is the tour, be prepared this is a tour I would recommend for seasoned travellers looking for a new adventure. "
Itinerary [+] Detailed Itinerary
Join tour Lome
Visit Lome; transfer to Kpalime surrounded by tropical forest
Hike in the rainforest to discover its flora and fauna
Drive to Sokode through villages and markets; fire dance in the evening
Drive to the Bassar region. Visit the clay houses and learn about the iron production
Visit the Kabye region and transfer to the Atakora Mountains
Visit the Somba in the Atakora Mountains
Drive to Natitingou; discover the town with its museum and market, meet local artisant or relax by the pool
Drive to Dassa visiting the Yom people and the fetish village of Dankoli
Visit the Royal Palace in Dassa and attend a mask ceremony
Visit the Royal Palace in Abomey and attend a Gelede mask ceremony
Walk in Lama forest, transfer to Ganvie in the afternoon
Visit Ouidah; drive to Grand Popo
Pirogue trip along Mono River
Drive to Togo via voodoo villages; continue to Lome