2013/14 Standard Itinerary
Approx 10 -
Explore Tour Leader plus driver(s).
This trip is graded moderate with an average of between 4-6 hours walking each day. Parts of the balcony walk are not suitable for vertigo sufferers. One day is left free.
Walking Week In Madeira
Following Madeira’s characteristic ‘levadas’ (narrow irrigation channels) we walk some of the best trails on this dramatically beautiful volcanic island. Hike the impressive ‘balcony walk’ – a path hewn into the cliff face – to the summit of Pico Ruivo (1862m). We also spend time in the capital Funchal where we can enjoy some fresh fish and a glass of Madeira wine!
- Funchal - Laid-back city with beautiful gardens, parks, historic buildings and a colourful market
- Sao Lourenco Peninsula - Cliff top walk with stunning coastal views
- Levada Paths - Variety of picturesque walks alongside the island's unique irrigation channels
- Ponta do Sol - Quaint coastal town with beautiful sunsets
- The Balcony Walk - Spectacular views along this famous path between the high peaks of Arieiro and Ruivo
What we say
Staff Member Cat Morrissey travelled on this tour in 2010.
"A wonderful week of walking, scenery and good food.
This is a nice relaxed week away enjoying all Madeira has to offer."
Itinerary [+] Detailed Itinerary
Join tour at Funchal
Drive to Sao Lourenco; coastal walk; drive to Santana
Walk from Queimadas via Caldeira Verde to Ilha; drive to Porto Moniz
Drive to Cristo Rei, hike to Florencas via Rabacal; drive to Ponta do Sol
Hike Boca Corrida / Encumeada ; drive back to Ponta do Sol
In Funchal; a choice of optional excursions
Tour ends Funchal