2013/14 Standard Itinerary
- 13 nights Standard Hotel
- 1 night Basic Train
Bus, taxis, rickshaw, train and boat.
Approx 13 -
Explore Tour Leader plus driver(s), boatmen and some local guides.
South India Adventure Tour
Take a cultural journey with us across this colourful landscape, from intricately carved temple complexes to lush jungle backwaters and historic harbour ports. By train, bus and riverboat we climb to the heights of the Western Ghats and drop down to the Bay of Bengal in the Indian Ocean. This fast-paced adventure includes a little bit of everything southern India has to offer.
- Chennai - Join the tour in the home of classic Indian dancing, Bollywood movies, beaches and temples
- Tiruchirapalli - Explore the Rock Fort set on the banks of the Cauvery River
- Madurai - Wind your way through 1000 ornately carved pillars in the Meenakshi Temple
- Mysore - Visit the Maharajah's Palace, one of the largest palaces in India
- Kochi - Explore the Portuguese influenced city by boat
- Mamallapuram - Relax on the tropical beaches of the Bay of Bengal
What we say
Staff Member Sarah King travelled on this tour in 2009.
"The colours, sights, smells and culture leap out at every turn, and will get under your skin. An insightful 16 days packed full of experiences. Travelling on local trains and in tuk-tuks allows you to really get amongst it."
Itinerary [+] Detailed Itinerary
Join tour Chennai (Madras)
In Chennai then train to Tiruchirapalli
Afternoon Bus to Madurai
Bus to Thekkady
Boat to Alappuzha; Drive to Kochi
Drive to Mettupalayam
Mountain Train to Udhagamandalam
Bus to Mysore
In Mysore; Overnight train to Chennai
Arrive in Chennai; Drive to Mamallapuram
Land Only tour ends after breakfast in Mamallapuram