2013/14 Standard Itinerary
Approx 12 -
Explore Tour Leader plus driver.
We walk on 5 days with an average of 4 to 6 hours of walking each day. We have graded this trek as easy to moderate.
Trekking Northern Cyprus
Explore one of the most unspoilt regions of the Mediterranean. We travel to North Cyprus and walk in the beautiful Besparmak Mountain range, following quiet mountain trails leading to imposing Crusader castles. In Kyrenia, we wander the picturesque harbour front and narrow cobbled backstreets. Every evening we return to our hotel to relax by the pool or enjoy delicious, locally-grown food in nearby restaurants.
- Kyrenia - Visit this picturesque harbour town. Enjoy wandering the backstreets or take a meal at one of the waterfront restaurants
- Bellapais Abbey - Explore this twelfth century Crusader abbey, and pretty village setting, once home to Lawrence Durrell
- Crusader Castles - Take quiet mountain paths to Buffavento Castle at Northern Cyprus' highest point, and Kantara Castle on the north coast
- Mountain Villages - Follow ancient paths through the Besparmak Mountains to local villages
- Local Food - Enjoy the fresh Mediterranean flavours of mezes and other local dishes
What we say
Staff Member Mel Budd travelled on this tour in 2011.
"Great walks leading to magnificent castles with spectacular views, spring flowers, pine forests and quiet villages. This is the perfect tour to see Northern Cyprus and would be a great introduction to walking tours."
Itinerary [+] Detailed Itinerary
Walk through Besparmak Range to Bellapais Village, optional visits in Kyrenia
Visit Buffavento Castle and walk to highest castle in North Cyprus
Transfer via Incirli cave to Kantara Castle; walking in the area
Full day excursion to Famagusta (optional)
Circular Walk from Kalkanli Village
West Besparmak walking
Tour ends Kyrenia