2013/14 Standard Itinerary
Approx 12 -
Explore Tour Leader plus driver(s).
We walk on 6 days of this tour, with about 4 to 6 hours walking each day. Our trek grade for this tour is easy to moderate.
Walking Tour In Central Turkey
Following ancient pathways we explore this unique region of central Turkey. We discover the famous ‘fairy chimneys’, rock-cut churches and the spectacular underground city of Kaymakli. From the Ihlara Valley we begin a 6-day trek through the landscapes of Cappadocia, following little-known trails past orchards and vineyards to traditional villages. Along the way we visit local landmarks including Uchisar ‘Castle’.
- Istanbul - Discover the magic of 'Old Stamboul' on foot, including the 'Blue Mosque'
- Cappadocia - Explore this unique landscape of enchanting valleys, 'fairy chimneys' and cave dwellings
- Ihlara - Walk along this narrow valley dotted with rock-cut churches and well -preserved Byzantine frescoes
- Kaymakli - Visit an historic city carved out as an underground safe haven for local inhabitants in turbulent times.
- Uchisar - Climb the rock-cut 'castle' and take in the views down over the region
- Goreme - Enjoy seven nights in the small town at the heart of Cappadocia
What we say
Staff Member Hannah Collier travelled on this tour in 2009.
"The mix on this trip was fantastic. Not being city person a small taster of Istanbul at the beginning suited me perfectly before the comfortable train journey out to Konya. The scenery was breathtaking and very different to previous trips on the coast. We were so lucky - the first night in Goreme it snowed! This made the walking a bit more challenging but also a lot of fun. Thermals and waterproofs are probably a good idea in winter... then you can just relax and enjoy the views!."
Top Ten Turkey Highlights - Explore's Jude Berry has travelled extensively in Turkey. Read her top ten Turkish highlights.
Itinerary [+] Detailed Itinerary
Join tour Istanbul
In Istanbul, city tour; fly to Kayseri and transfer to Ihlara
Walking in the Ihlara Valley
Drive to Goreme via Kaymakli Underground city, walk to Cayagil
Walk Akvadi Valley, visit Uchisar, walk Babayan Plateau
Walk through Gomede Valley to Mustafapasa
Walk in Pancarlik and Kizilcukur valleys via Cavusin to Goreme
In Goreme; walk up Bozdag mountain
Tour ends Goreme