Why book this tour?
We focus on the highlight sections of this famous walk, cherry picking the best bits and travelling by bus along the less interesting sections.
2013/14 Standard Itinerary
Approx 12 -
Explore Tour leader plus driver(s).
This is a 7-day trek spread over the 12 days and covering roughly 92km (an average of 13kms a day). The route will be mainly on the well defined Camino Frances and reaches a maximum altitude of 1482m. We have graded this trek as moderate.
Walking Tour In Northern Spain
Following in the footsteps of countless pilgrims since the 9th Century, we follow the legendary route to Santiago de Compostela – the resting place of Saint James. We walk along the most scenic sections between Burgos and Santiago: across the high plains of the Castilian Meseta and into the Galician mountains. We discover Gothic cathedrals, visit disused Roman gold mines and climb to the Iron Cross (1,482m) along the way.
- The legendary Camino de Santiago route - Varied beautiful scenery and cultural highlights as we cherry pick the best bits of the route
- Santiago De Compostela - Lively historic town and “holy shrine” of the pilgrims
- Leon - Imposing Gothic Cathedral with stunning stained glass windows
- Astorga - Magnificent Bishop's Palace designed by Antoni Gaudi
- Cruz de Ferro - The famous iron cross at the highest point of the Camino
- O Cebreiro - Charming mountain village with cobbled streets, round stone thatched houses and picturesque valley views
What we say
Staff Member Bex Powney travelled on this tour in 2008
"If you are looking for a moderate trekking tour – then this would be a fabulous tour to join. Breath taking scenery, ample culture and the opportunity to meet lots of pilgrims along the way. You are guaranteed to come home with lots of interesting tales! "
Itinerary [+] Detailed Itinerary
Join tour Bilbao
Drive to Burgos; sightseeing, then walk/drive to Leon via Hornillos
City tour; drive to Astorga
Walk to Molinaseca via Cruz de Ferro; drive to Medulas
Free day in Las Medulas
Into Galicia; walk to O'Cebreiro
Walk to Sarria; optional visit to Samos monastery
Walk to Portomarin
Walk to Arzua
Walk from Arzua to Alto de Santa Irene; drive to Santiago and visit cathedral
Free day in Santiago; Optional visit to Cape Finisterre
Tour ends Santiago de Compostela