Holidays for Solo Travellers
Solo – but not alone
If you’re travelling solo you don’t need to be travelling alone. When you join a small-group holiday with Explore you’ll be sharing the experience with other adventure-loving travellers.
Safe and hassle-free
In a small group with an expert leader you’ll feel more relaxed. Your safety is taken care of and the day-to-day planning is being done for you. All you need do is sign up, turn up and enjoy.
Share the adventure
Our trips attract people from all over the world who love to explore, discover and share their passion for travel. The experiences you share, the fun you have and the friends you make along the way are the reasons why so many solo travellers travel with us again and again.
Is it for me? Solo traveller FAQs
How many other solo travellers will there be?
- On average around half the group will be travelling solo. Numbers vary from one trip to the next but you can always ask when you make your booking.
Will I need to pay more to travel on my own?
- No. There are no single supplements on our group trips – everyone pays the same price.
How does the rooming work?
- You’ll share a twin room with another solo traveller of the same sex, unless you choose to pay extra for a single room. This is our Single Room Option, which around half our solo travellers choose to add.
Are solo travellers mainly men or women?
- It varies from trip to trip, but overall around 60% are women and 40% are men.
What age will the others in the group be?
- Typically ages range from 20s or 30s up to 60s or above. We’ve found over the years that a good range of different ages usually adds to the group experience.
Will I get time to myself?
- Our trips are designed to be flexible. There’s plenty of free time when you can do your own thing if you prefer.
What about the evenings?
- Most evenings your Explore leader will arrange an informal group meal, which you can join if you like. Alternatively you can make your own plans, with or without others in your group.
What’s it really like joining a group trip on your own?
- Our groups are small, informal, welcoming and fun. Most people joining an explore group for the first time are surprised how quickly and easily the group gels. There’s no pressure to join in the whole time: you can be as involved or independent as you like. You'll meet other solo travellers - in fact many people make life-long friendships on our trips.
What solo travellers say:
“Don't be afraid to book a trip if on your own. Explore cater for singles and couples, you will make some wonderful friends. This was my first big trip on my own and will definitely do again without hesitation.”
Elizabeth Bainbridge. QBK – Aug 2015
“If you are travelling alone don't have any concerns. There were 15 people in our group, some married couples, friends travelling together and single people. It was friendly and inclusive".
Maggie Perry DS – Jan 2015
“I was a single traveller, looking for an exciting tour and I could not ask for any more, plus the travelling companions I met on this tour all enjoyed themselves too, that makes a good holiday.”
Glenn Gardiner. SW – Nov 2014
“The most memorable moment was watching the sunset at Bagan from a vantage point high up on one of the temples, after travelling there by horse and cart. The group were great, and as a single traveller, it was nice to be able to share this special moment in such good company.”
Julie Herron. BUH – March 2014