For those looking for somewhere different and memorable to spend Christmas this year, now is the time to start planning your festive Antarctica getaway. Immerse yourself in a polar wonderland, share magical family moments, observe unique wildlife and await Santa’s visit on board your expedition ship.
We asked our friends on board the Polar Pioneer to share their top ten reasons to join them in Antarctica this Christmas.
1. Experience a white Christmas. Snowmen, snow angels and snow fights; Antarctica is the perfect place to experience the white Christmas you’ve always dreamed of! Be the first to spot a giant iceberg as you approach the Antarctic Peninsula, enjoy sights of snowy mountain ranges and be awe-inspired as you cruise past a spectacular coastline of ice cliffs and glaciers.
2. The ultimate family adventure. Why not take the whole family to Antarctica for a once-in-a-lifetime Christmas? Parents and children alike will enjoy lively penguin colonies and adventurous Zodiac rides, and will relish in the thrill of spotting whales as they breach and blow. This is one family Christmas you’ll never forget!
3. ...or if the thought of another family Christmas is already giving you a headache, Antarctica is pretty much as far away as you can get!
4. An adventurer's Christmas. With an average of 18-20 hours of sunlight, we’ll help you make the most out of your Christmas! Expect every day – and the 25th is no exception – to be jam-packed with shore landings, sea-kayaking, amazing wildlife encounters, and even after-dinner Zodiac cruises.
5. A stress-free, relaxing Christmas...for once! Avoid the Christmas craziness this year and let the staff on board the Polar Pioneer take care of everything. The expedition team will guide you through a fantastic festive journey to Antarctica from start to finish.
6. It’s the perfect gift. Surprise a loved one with the ultimate gift this Christmas – the experience of waking up in Antarctica on Christmas Day!
7. Witness Antarctica’s wildlife at its liveliest. Christmas is mid-summer in Antarctica and this is when penguins are busy shuttling from sea to shore to keep their chicks fed, crabeater and Weddell seals are patrolling the bays or stopping on ice floes for a much-needed nap, and humpback whales start to fill the protected channels to feed. If you’re lucky, the penguins might even sing a carol or two!
8. A Christmas campout. By far the most popular experience, explorer-style ice camping will definitely add some great memories to your already-unique Antarctica Christmas.
9. Celebrate with all the trimmings. Sing a Christmas carol or two, help hang the decorations and enjoy a traditional roast turkey meal with all the trimmings. Just because you’re in one of the most remote regions on the planet, doesn’t mean the Christmas spirit is out of reach!
10. Ho-ho-ho! Did we mention Polar Pioneer is equipped with a sleigh landing pad? Expect a visit from the red-suited man who will deliver your present personally on Christmas morning!
Experience Christmas in Antarctica on Classic Antarctica.