Trekking the Inca Trail is regulated by the Peruvian authorities as only a limited number of people are allowed on the trail each day. Trekking permits are included when you book on to one of our Inca Trail tours but they can only be purchased once your place on the tour is confirmed as they are not transferable. As permits often sell out months ahead we recommend that you confirm your place well in advance – ideally by mid December if you wish to trek the Inca Trail the following year.
If the Inca passes are sold out for the dates you wish to trek in Peru you may wish to consider the Salkantay Trek. This trek takes you into the beautiful scenery of the Andes without the need for a pass and still gives you the opportunity to visit Machu Picchu after your trek has finished. You can also combine it with the Amazon as an extension. Please see the notes below for more information.
Additional notes for tours that include the Inca Trail
1. In order to regulate the number of people walking on the Inca Trail it is necessary to buy an Inca Trail Pass specific to the days that you wish to travel. There are 200 passes per day for tourists, the remainder are for guides and porters.
2. If you are travelling on an Explore tour, Explore buy the necessary permit on your behalf. This is non-refundable and can’t be refunded or transferred after you have confirmed your booking.
3. Passes sell out quickly, so we would urge that you book your tour well ahead of your intended travel date. New Inca Passes are released in mid-December of each year so ideally we would recommend that you book your tour at least 6 months ahead and by mid to the end of December for the following year where possible.
4. Please note that due to the way the passes are distributed in January although a tour departure may be ‘Guaranteed’ we are unable to guarantee individual Inca Trail passes until we have confirmation that the passes have been purchased. On booking we will be able to tell you the date that your pass should be confirmed, and will contact you immediately in the (unusual) event that it is not. Because of this we would recommend that you either book your flights through Explore or ensure that your tickets are flexible/refundable.
5. In order to buy your pass we will need your: full name, passport number, date of birth and nationality. If you change passport before travelling it will be necessary to provide a copy of both passports in advance of travelling and to carry a copy of your previous passport with you.
6. The Peruvian authorities may change the regulations for the Inca Trail Pass at any time. In the event of this we will inform you as soon as possible.
For availability please check the ‘Dates & prices’ tab on the individual Explore Inca Trail trippages