- The Mekong Delta and Cambodia are interesting and fascinating places to visit, and you get to see so much more on two wheels than two legs.
The highlights were:
- cycling around the rural communities, villages, islands and waterways of Can Tho
- talking to the Vietnamese and Cambodian people
- seeing the Floating Markets, the Meat, Fish and Vegetables Markets
- Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom
The two Cambodian guides (Cham and Toneth) were fantastic - informative, friendly, helpful and really keen that we saw everything that life in Cambodia involves, and understood the history of their beautiful country. They were attentive to the needs of the Group and had a lot of fun with us and their support team. Ya, the mechanic was brilliant and a very helpful guy. The iced water and watermelon he and his colleagues provided were very much appreciated.
Unfortunately the Vietnamese guide (Huon) was a bit intense and not always the most helpful or understanding (eg when luggage didn't arrive on the flight from Dubai). He also had no interest in cycling with the Group or answering questions/explaining things along the way - he seemed more intent on cycling alone a long way ahead of the Group. On previous cycling holidays the guide and mechanic have always cycled with the group - a front and rear marker - this was not the case on the Vietnam leg (but was the case in Cambodia). His knowledge of his country and daily instructions to the Group were however very good. This is the third Explore holiday I've undertaken and the other two Guides have been excellent. Unfortunately Huon wasn't the best advocate for Explore for those members of the Group for whom this was their first cycling holiday experience.
Published on: 16 April 2017