For our vehicle hire, we predominantly use Blue Car Rental, who have offices at Keflavik Airport that are open 24/7.
The price of the tour includes hire of a Toyata Yaris vehicle, or similar. This is a small-sized, 2WD automatic car. Winter tyres are included in the hire cost during the relevant months. If you'd like to upgrade to a medium or large vehicle (similar to a medium Nissan Qashqai or large Toyota Land Cruiser), this is available at an additional cost. A small vehicle is perfect for the trip, but if you are travelling with more than three people, you may find the boot space in a larger vehicle better for your requirements.
For a medium upgrade, the additional cost is £95-£150 depending on the season.
For a large upgrade, the additional cost is £420-£700 depending on the season. These larger vehicles all have 4x4 capabilities and are more specialised for driving on Iceland's internal roads (not on this itinerary), some of which require off-road functions.
A full driver license must have been held for at least 12 months and must be presented at the start of the rental. Renters must be 20 years of age.
The hire includes:
- Theft protection
- Gravel protection
- A GPS
- A SCDW (Super Collision Damage Waiver: this will limit your maximum excess liability in case of damage to the vehicle, but we recommend that you purchase a separate no-excess insurance)
- A full tank of fuel at the start of your trip (it should be returned full)
- Winter tyres for the relevant months
It doesn't include the following, but they can be purchased separately:
- No-excess insurance (available to purchase via the car hire company on arrival, but there are many insurance companies in the UK with whom you can purchase this prior to departure at a lower price)
- WiFi in the vehicle
- Child seats from 6 months to 4-5 years (booster seats are on request but free of charge)
All rentals are subject to the terms and conditions of the rental company, which you can see by clicking here