2 tablespoons of butter
1⁄2 onion diced
1⁄2 teaspoon of chilli powder
12 ears of corn (with husks)
1 tablespoon of chopped basil
1 green chilli seeded
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Starting with the onions, sautee them until they're translucent. Once ready, add in the chilli powder and remove from the heat.
2. Peel the corn ears carefully. Be careful not to damage the husks, you'll be needing two or three leaves per humita you're making.
3. Gently clean the husks and place in hot water for a couple of minutes. Remove and pat dry.
4. Cut away the corn kernels from the ears and pllace the corn ears and basil in a food processor and chop until the mix is the consistency of a thick paste.
5. Place corn mixture in a bowl with the sautéed onions, and a pinch of salt and pepper and gently mix together
6. On a flat surface place 2-3 husk leaves together with the tips facing outward. Fill with 2-3 tablespoons of corn filling and fold husks into small packet. Tie the package with colorless string.
7. In a large pot with boiling water, add humitas and boil for 20 minutes.
8. Remove from water, serve hot and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy your humitas, if you'd like to experience the delicious food, as well as the culture and highlights of Chile, check out all our holidays in Chile.