Sharing tales from your holidays is half the fun of travel. You get to relive all the great experiences you had and prolong the feelings the holiday gave you. But what if it could also help you win money towards your next adventure?
That’s exactly what we’re offering in our new monthly competition. We want you to send us a short blog of around 500-600 words about your Explore holiday. Each month we’ll pick our favourite article and publish it on our website, and the author will win £150 in Explore vouchers to put towards their next adventure.
If you wouldn’t usually consider yourself a writer, don’t be put off! We’re not looking for a day-by-day breakdown of what you did on the trip or pages of prose, just a few snippets on what made it a great holiday for you. Your blog could take the form of your top five memorable moments, or maybe a few of your favourite photographs with words to go along with each one. We want it to be personal to you and your experience with some of your personality thrown in for good measure!
If you need some ideas and inspiration, check out these blogs and articles by member of the Explore team:
Hannah Methven in Japan
Megan Freese in Iraq
William Potter in Spain, Morocco and Gibraltar
How to enter
Simply email your story to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Blog competition’. We’ll pick the next winner at the end of March, then one every month in which we get suitable entries.
January 2014 Winner
Helen Lloyd Jones recounts her adventures in Andalucia.
November 2013 Winner
Teresa Kirby tells us a few of the things she learned while in the Peruvian Amazon.
October 2013 Winner
Nagam Din submitted the story of a unique experience she had while walking in the Sierra de Aracena. Read about the Carnival in the Sierra de Aracena.
September 2013 Winner
This month the winner is Philippa Collins who submitted her story of her up close experience of 'a night with the lions'.
August 2013 Winner
Back on track with the blogs this month, the winner is Andrew Nicholson who tried Magic of the Mekong with his family.
July 2013 Winner
This month we received no blogs of a winning quality.
June 2013 Winner
June's winner is Colin Wigston who shares his tales of seeing magnificent tigers on his trip to India.
May 2013 Winner
This month the winner was Alison Baxter who wrote about her experience of a perfect day on our Spirit of Laos tour.
April 2013 Winner
This month we chose Kirsty Tyre as the recipient of £150 in Explore vouchers. She shared her story about bear-watching in Finland.
We had some great entries in March but the eventual winner was Jane Barlow who shared her experiences of an Explore Tailormade trip to Thailand which she took with her daughter.
Our winner for February is Alastair Walters who sent us a blog of his experience cycling in Burma. He shares his thoughts on meeting the Burmese people, his highlights of the country and how cycling helped him get closer to the day-to-day Burmese life than he ever thought possible.
Terms and conditions
1) By submitting your blog(s) you are giving Explore permission to keep them on file and use them in printed and online promotional material, regardless of whether you are the winning blogger for the month of entry.
2) The blog must be about an Explore tour and be written by the person credited.
3) The competition will run per calendar month, with the winner being chosen on the first working day of each month. The winner will be contacted via email and an address requested to send the holiday vouchers.
4) The monthly prize is £150 in Explore travel vouchers. Explore reserves the right not to award the prize in any given month if blogs of suitable quality are not received.
6) Competition not open to Explore staff or their immediate families.
7) Entries will be judged by the Explore judging panel. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into concerning the competition.
8) We reserve the right to edit blog posts as necessary.
9) Each blog can only be entered into the competition once.
10) We reserve the right to withdraw the competition at any time.