Book from a selection of our Russia and ex-USSR trips and receive a free visa worth up to £180
Most people find Russia and the ex-USSR region intriguing but it’s surprisingly unexplored by many western tourists, despite the fact that it offers wonderful history, culture and great value for money. So why not unravel some of the mystery and take an adventure there? The countries differ dramatically but have a common history of a Soviet past.
A popular way to cover a lot in one trip is to visit five fascinating countries and stay in six historic cities of the old Soviet Union in one go - try our Russia, Belarus and the Baltics adventure. Experience Belarus's capital Minsk and see the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of 15th-century Mir Castle and Nesvizh Palace. Belarus also has beautiful forests and you can discover the incredible variety of flora and fauna while hiking in Berezinsky National Park.
Leaving the dark colours of Soviet submarines behind, now imagine Uzbekistan and picture the vibrant sights of the Silk Road. The Uzbek cities of Khiva, Bukhara and Samarkand were stop-off points for traders and offer beautiful reminders of days past with their restored turquoise-coloured domes, exotic minarets, attractive mosaics and twisted alleyways. Travel through this remote Central Asian landscape and mingle with the locals in the market of Tashkent on our Golden Road to Samarkand adventure.
For a close-up look of Russia you can journey by bicycle and bus from Moscow to St. Petersburg, exploring the rural landscape dotted with onion-domed Orthodox churches, enormous lakes and forests, as well as the city landmarks. Take a look at our trips for details: Moscow and St Petersburg, Treasures Of The Tsars, and Cycle Russia - Moscow to St. Petersburg.
Terms and Conditions
- The offer is available for new bookings made and confirmed between 20 April 2017 and 22 May 2017. We regret the offer cannot be applied retrospectively to existing bookings.
- Please quote “Former Soviet Union Offer” at the time of booking to qualify for the offer, or if booking online please type "Former Soviet Union Offer" when asked for a discount code.
- Upon receipt of your booking confirmation, please check the offer has been added to your booking.
- Explore will apply a discount to the price of your trip, to cover the current cost (as at 1st April 2017) of a single entry visa plus £10 per visa towards postage. The discount amount that applies to each trip is as follows. Where a trip visits more than one country included in the offer (*), multiple discounts will apply.
- For trips to Russia (or multi-country trips which include Russia), a £120 per person discount will be applied to the trip price (trip codes: BSE, CRU, GR, HBR*, KGD, NKP and WR).
- For trips to Belarus (or multi-country trips which include Belarus), a £60 per person discount will be applied to the trip price (trip codes: HBR*, KLV, KMV, KWR and MI).
- For trips to Uzbekistan (or multi-country trips which include Uzbekistan), a £77 per person discount will be applied to the trip price (trip codes: KR, KRU, SUZ*, TTT* and UZ).
- For trips to Turkmenistan (or multi-country trips which include Turkmenistan), a £60 per person discount will be applied to the trip price (trip codes: SUZ*, TTT*).
- For trips to Azerbaijan (or multi-country trips which include Azerbaijan), a £30 per person discount will be applied to the trip price (trip code: GFA).
- Please note that the Tashkent to Tehran trip (trip code TTT) also requires a visa for entry to Iran, which is not included in this promotion.
- Please note it is your responsibility to ensure you apply for and obtain the correct visa(s) prior to your departure. Issuance of visas cannot be guaranteed by Explore. Visa requirements are listed in individual Trip Notes, but please note that this information is subject to change and requirements should be confirmed with the relevant embassy or consulate. Please see our website for more information.
- The discount amount offered is based on the current cost of a visa for UK nationals, however the offer is open to customers of any nationality. The stated discount amount applies regardless of the visa costs for your nationality.
- All customers, whether booking directly with Explore or through a travel agent, are eligible for the offers.
- The offer can be used in conjunction with the Explore loyalty scheme, Explore group discount and Cycling Offer (valid until 01 May 2017 – see website for details), but cannot be combined with any other promotions unless specified.
- The offer is subject to trip availability and there is no cash alternative.
- We reserve the right to withdraw or amend the offer at any time.